We’ve all undoubtedly felt pretty fucking blind after tangling with the cruel hearted bitch that is hard spirits, but if you hit the sauce hard one day and then woke up literally blind the next, it would probably be enough to put you off drinking for at least a week or two.
Which is exactly what happened to 65-year-old Denis Duthie, who was celebrating his parent’s wedding anniversary with a bit of a sesh when he discovered he’d gone blind.
“I thought it had got dark and I’d missed out on a bit of time but it was only about half-past-three in the afternoon,” Duthie, who tutors at the Western Institute of Technology at Taranaki, told the New Zealand Herald. “I was fumbling around the bedroom for the light switch but … I’d just gone completely blind.”
He thought that by sleeping off the alcohol it might cure his blindness, but woke up and still couldn’t see shit, leading him to head to the hospital.
“I don’t remember much after I arrived in hospital,” Duthie said. “I know the doctor told my wife to say goodbye because they didn’t think I’d be coming out again.”
Doctors reckoned that old mate was suffering from formaldehyde poisoning, which occurs when methanol – a common byproduct of home-brewed alcoholic beverages — metabolizes into formaldehyde.
Doctors believed that the alcohol he had ingested reacted with the five medications he’d been on for diabetes, which essentially began to poison him. The cure for this type of poisoning involves ethanol, a component commonly found in alcoholic beverages, however, the hospital didn’t have enough in stock.
So they smartly sent an intern down the bottle shop to buy a bottle of whiskey, which they put in a drip and attached to old mate, curing him.
Since his hospital visit, Denis has been on the straight and narrow, barely touching alcohol and vowing to stay away from it. In all fairness, I think anyone would if it meant you’d never be able to look at cute dogs again.
If you have a story that you'd like to share, please submit it here.