Not Using Your Smartphone For A Year Could Land You A Cool $100K

Millennials get a pretty bad rep when it comes to our overuse of technology, and for good reason. According to the Pew Research Centre, over 92% of us use a smartphone in order to sustain our crippling meme addictions while the other 8% must live in Amish communities. 

If you’ve got that weird mate who’s denounced technology in favour of carrier pigeons and smoke signals, then you might want to let them know that they could net $100k simply by not using a smartphone for one whole year. 

Vitamin Water are the twisted individuals behind the competition, which will require one selected participant to use a 1996 era cell phone in order to communicate with people. 

You’re allowed to use a desktop and laptop, however that means no mobile banking, Snapchat, utility apps or smartphone selfies for an ENTIRE YEAR. And don’t think you can find a loophole to use one at work, as participants are not allowed.

Natalia Suarez, Vitamin Water’s associate brand manager, tells CNBC Make It. “We don’t think there’s anything more boring than mindlessly scrolling through your phone, and this is an opportunity to take that stance against routine and give someone $100,000 to do something uniquely awesome with their time,” she says.

If you’re only able to last 6 months, you’ll still score $10K, but they’re going to hit you with a lie detector test to ensure you aren’t telling any fibs. 

If you think you can survive without technology or you’re extremely confident in your ability to cheat a lie detector, then all you have to do is post on social media by January 8th saying what you would do if you couldn’t use your phone for a year.


If you have a story that you'd like to share, please submit it here.